Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Had still birth, peri-menopausal. Can they cause palpitations?

I have had palpations for a while I think it maybe due to stress and the fact that i am going through the the peri -menopausal state at the moment. Although I have been through a trying time at the moment as my daughter gave birth to stillborn banck in April and my other daughter is 30weeks pregnant and understandbly distressed. I am also finding it hard as I work full time, please can you offer any advice as to how to cope. it would be greatly appreciated. Karen Deacon
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  14
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
You are suffering from palpitation and it is essential to find the cause.
Palpitation may be due to heart problem or may be due to hormonal problems.
If cardiac and non-cardiac evaluation is normal then you may have panic attacks.
Do you have fever/ increased sweating/ watery shit/ weight loss?
Do you have squeezing sensation/ sweating/ difficulty in respiration/ respiratory difficulties with change of posture/ swelling in feet ?
Have you undergone thyroid profile/ serum electrolytes/ ECG for heart previously?
What was their reports?
You should consult with physician / cardiologist and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, serum electrolytes, thyroid profile, renal function test, epinephrine, norepinephrine and urianry VMA level, ECG, 2 D echo and coronary angiography if needed.
Palpitation may be cardiac problems such as VPCs, APC, PSVT, Junctional rhythm, ventricular bigeminy and trigeminy. These heart diseases may be diagnosed by ECG and holter monitoring for 48-72 hours. If still not helpful then you can go for electro-physiological studies of heart.
Hormonal disorders may be thyroid disorders and pheochromocytoma.
These disorders may be diagnosed by above mentioned hormone analysis test.
As you have history of family mis happening, there may be possibilities of panic attacks, GAD and PTSD.
You should consult with psychiatrist in such case.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Wed, 12 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor