Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Had sex with sex worker and worried of HIV. When should I take test?

Hi, I had sex with an unknown person last week. I am deeply concerned now. I have been married happily for the past 6 years and I dont know why I went for this. I was intoxicated after a party and met this girl on the hotel floor, took her to the room and we had sex(she charged me). I had condom for protection and she gave me oral and had vaginal sex. The condom never broke. We kissed and thats pretty much what happened. I am really low now and deeply in guilt. I dont know how I will take the truth of If i become tested positive. I have never had such a situation in my life, its like everything is crashing down. I am really really concerned for this once mistake in my entire life.... this has never happened to me before. What should I do now? I cant wait for getting a hiv test and the result being negative, since how long after the encounter can I have my first test? What are the probabilities I am infected.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for using HCM.
From what you have described, if the condom has not slipped or burst, there are remote chances of getting HIV infection.
However you must take ELISA test, this test turns positive between 2 to 6 months post exposure. It would be wise to get a baseline test done now, and repeat after few months. If you are very anxious, you may go for a Pro Viral PCR as this test turns positive within a week, but it has lower sensitivity.
I would again advice you to keep calm and not be excessively worried as the chances of transmission with intact condom are really negligible. Hope this answers your doubts.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 's  Response
hello dear,
first of all dont be afraid and tensed up, whats being done cannot be solved up by regretting now .
dont be panic okay, i will guide you now,
u had a intercourse with condom right? so that reduces the chances of any sexually transmitted disease by 90% , now if the condome is good quality one and didnt tear up , then you are on safe side and almost you are safe upto 99 percent . secondly HIV infection transmission is very very minimal with kissing (becoz you have done oral sex and kissing), unless otherwise you have oral ulcers or bleeding gums.
by considering all these points i think you are on safe side ..but to know whether you are positive or negative you have to wait for 3-5 months to do testing for HIV by antibody detection method. i.e by strip method , that are avaialable in outside market , if you want instant result try with PCR test...but it is expensive one.

final point is that before thinking about it all.....that women should be HIV positive..then only all these things should be considered... i want to ask you one thing she a sex worker or Normal girl who came to enjoy the party like u? if its the case like normal girl who came for party then ..FORGET ABOUT WHOLE THING..OK

Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor