Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Had severe lower back pain when tried stretching leg and difficulty in walking since then. What to do?

my mother in law who suffers from copd and emphysema has woken up in bed with severe lower left back pain above the buttocks. She went to stretch her leg and this happened. She needs to be helped to the bathroom or to walk. This has been like this for 4 days with no improvement. What can we do? should we take her to the doctor? my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
By the description, it could most propably be due to a muscle pull or a osteoporotic compression fracture of vertebra (unlikely).
Xrays will usually show up any bony injury and is always mandatory in elderly people complaining of backpain.
Temporarily apply some muscle relaxant gel, Hot fomentation and bedrest.
I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup.
Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Jagannath Mangachary Eyyunni's  Response
Hi!. Thanks for your query. I suggest you take her to a Orthopaedician and follow his advice. She could have stretch some ligament or even could have a slip disc. Take care.
Answered: Wed, 3 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor