Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had seizure, prescribed Keppra. Can a general practitioner write a clearance letter for life insurance?

Hi, my husband and I are in the process of getting life insurance and I was denied due to a seizure I had. In February of 2011, I had my first (and only) seizure at work. I was taken to a hospital and told that I could not drive until I saw a neurologist . I saw the neuro, explained to them that the night before I had been drinking, coupled with waking up late the next morning and rushing to work, and the fact that periodically my blood sugar drops and I feel faint, that I belive that that could have led to the seizure. However, they decided to do an EEG . They found abnormal activity and prescribed me Keppra and said that I could not drive and that we would re-evaluate in a year. Well, I started taking the medicine in 4/2011, but by 6/2011, I stopped taking it. I didn t feel like it was accomplishing anything and I was having trouble remembering to take it. Today I am still seizure free. I have been making sure that I don t skip meals (to keep blood sugar level) and that I don t stress as much over little things (like when I was late to work). Unfortunately, the life insurance underwriter will not approve me until I get an all clear letter from my doctor or neuro saying that I can drive and doing fine. I called my neuro s office and she said that since it has been over a year since I have been there, I have to get a referral. So, my question is, can a general practitioner write this type of letter for me, or will I need to go to a GP and have them refer me to the neuro s office and have them write the letter? Thanks!!
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting the query.

I feel this kind of letter giving a clearance for driving, etc after having suffered a seizure, should ideally be given by a neurologist. So, you should visit your GP, and get a referral to the neurologist.

Regarding the stopping of keppra, it may be correct, since you only had a single seizure, and after a single seizure, long-term anti-epileptic medications are not a must. But you should discuss this issue with your neurologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Tue, 23 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor