Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Had root canal treatment previously. Having bump on gums in the same area. Oozing pus. Reason?

I had a root canal done about 4 years ago, and now all of a sudden there s a bump on my gums right above where I had the root canal done. A few months ago the bump busted and it was green like puss. Some of it was hard. And now the bump is back and puss still comes out, it s not always green. And when I swallow sometimes I can feel the pressure in my gums from my tongue touching the roof of my mouth. What s wrong?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  748
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history it suggests you have developed a periapical abscess because of the secondary infection in the RCT teeth .
This abscess have created a sinus tract is draining on the gum.
I would suggest you to get an x- ray done and see your dentist to rule out the extent of the infection and abscess .
This can be treated by reopening the root canal and performing the root canal therapy and draining the abscess
This should be followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics .
Hope this information helps you
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
this is an acute exacerbation of a chronic infection. in simple words your root canal seems to have failed.but don't panic get back to your dentist and let him know of the situation.
he will take an x ray and assess the situation and remove the root canal filling to let drain off the pus which had started draining through the sinus. the rct will need to be redone and the whole procedure repeated. antibiotics and analgesics to be administered simultaneously
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
as you said bump on your gum is because of shouil visit your dentist and go for Xray.then only currect diagnosis is made.infection can be because of rct treated tooth or gingival abscess.if teeth is infected then rerct is the treatment.t can be a palatal abscess.if it is painfull tell d dentist drain the will give you immidiat relief.
take care
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Akanksha Sharma's  Response
Welcome to the forum!
This bump that you mentioned is possibly a sinus tract. This is a sign of infection (abcess), which leads to pus discharge. The infection could be either related to the root canal treated tooth or a periodontal abscess due to gum infection. The first thing is to get an x ray of the affected tooth region. This shall help in localising the cause. If the root canal treated tooth has been improperly cleaned and shortly filled then a reRCT can be performed for the same. Also, some antibiotics like novaclav 625 mg would be recommended but for that you must visit your dentist for a thorough clinical as well as radiographic checkup.
There's nothing to worry about as such cases can be easily treated. Hope this advice would help you out.
Take care :)
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend
thanx for sharing your concern.
you have developed a periapical abscess there.this could be due to secondary infection in the same RC treated tooth.
also it has resulted in a sinus tract,which is draining on and off.

i would suggest you to get an xray done,check for the extent of spread of infection and abscess.

this can be treated again by reopening the canal,proper irrigation of canal,maintaining aseptic canal preparation,allowing the abscess to regress and then obturating the canal.
followed by a crown.
simultaneous antibiotic and analgesic coverage is must.
this should definiately help.
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome,
i suspect you have developed a gum abscess on the tooth where the root canal was done.

This abscess can either be tooth related due to infection in the tooth that drains via gums or
it can be related to periodontal tissues, that is ginvival abscess caused by poor oral hygiene.

This can be confirmed by taking and x ray of the affected area. so vist a dentist and get a x ray examination done .

accordingly, if it is a gum abscess , it is drained by currettage , deep scaling and root planing of the tooth is done followed by a course of antibiotics will subside the symptoms.

If the abscess is related to tooth , root canal treatment has to be repeated.
i hope this helps,
take care
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor