Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Had root canal done, crown not done. Fell after chewing. Now what?

Last year I went to get a root canal done. I never went back t o get a crown. Today I was chewing gum and it fell came out. Now there is a Hugh hole in my tooth . I leave for Africa this Thursday. Will the air pressure cause me pain. I went to dentist today. They advised me not to have it fill temporary until I get back. They told me it can no longer b saved. I m getting second opinion tomorrow. just wondering about flying if I get it taken out and flying with a hole in my tooth. thanks
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012
Answers:  8 Views:  144
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

If the tooth is root canal treated so there are no chances of getting pain during flight, as you said that the tooth can no longer be saved for this you require an thorough clinical and radiological examination.
It will be wise to go for a second opinion before you go for the extraction of the tooth.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
If the tooth has been root canal treated and there is no pain in it, then the chances of you getting pain during the flight are almost nil. But we can be certain once your xray has been taken. As the doctor has mentioned that the tooth can not be saved then you can get it extracted once you have time.
Hope this helps with your problem.
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
I read your problem,you did not mentioned whether you have pain or any infection in the same tooth,
if you do not have any pain you can go with temporary filling without any problem.without clinical examination,i am not able to suggest you,whether it can be saved or not?so i will suggest you [please go to an specialist(endodontist) in your area and go for proper examination done including x-rays and now this time please go for proper and complete treatment and follow all the given instructions properly.
nothing to get worried.
take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

If the treated tooth was asymptomatic then there is nothing to worry about.It will not cause any pain to you.

but if the tooth was symptomatic, then it might cause pain upon air pressure.

Also as your dentist suggested, it cannot be saved anymore then,you can just get it extracted and fixed with bridge in its place,whenever you are comfortable with the treatment.

presently you can continue with your activity without interruption.

Hope it helps.


Take care.
Answered: Sat, 13 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.

Flying with exposed dentin can cause severe sensitivity.

Please do keep a cotton soaked in formocresol within the cavity to relieve sensitivity.

I would suggest you to get your teeth re-filled along with crown placement done.

If tooth cannot be saved,it has to be extracted.

Please do visit a dentist as soon as possible and get further treatment done.

Take care.
Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Asif Ahmed's  Response
hello ,
thanks for writing to us,

as per your presentation of your ailment i would say you can easily travel through air without experiencing pain over the involved tooth,as its non vital .though take a second opinion to reconfirm it..

hence relax and get well soon
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Arati C Koregol's  Response
thanks for the concern.
yes you can go for temporary filling. as it is rc treated you wont be having any air pressure will not have any effect on your rc treated and filled tooth. so dont woorry. consult an endodontist for further treatment.
take care
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
hello sir
if tooth is not causing any pain or disconfort then i would
advice you t get permanent ceramic done before you leave
it requires only single siting and will prevent your tooth
from further loss.later you can get cap over it
Answered: Thu, 6 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor