Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Had persistant cough, bronchiectasis, congested around the sinus area. What tests you recommend?

Hi, I have had a persistant cough for the past 4 years.I cough evry morning I wake and often during the night..It gets worse in the winter time.I have had xrays and have been told I have Bronchiectasis .In saying that I m constantly congested around the sinus area.I can easily fill a 1/2 to 1 cup of phelgm a day. I requested to see a nose and throat specialist ,this was 6 months ago.Maybe I need to pay to see one.Do you think I should and what sort of questions should I ask and what tests do you think I should have to find out whats wrong so I can sort this problem. Thanks Sharon
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at HCM!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

If your Xrays showed bronchiectasis, the copious cough production is explained by it.
Do you get fever on and off?
Did you have any respiratory affection before leading to bronchiectasis?
Has a HRCT scan been done?
If you feel your sinuses are affected, there is no harm in seeing ENT specialist.
Ask if you have sinusitis. They are sometimes associated.
You may undergo a HRCT thorax, hemogram, sputum gram , Zn stains, routine exam and culture if infection is suspected.
You may benefit by influenza and pneumococcal vaccination.
Secretion management may be bettered by involving a respiratory therapist. You should be guided by a pulmonologist.

I hope you are fully satisfied with the guidance I gave.
Hope I have answered all your questions. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Thank you and Good luck!

Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor