Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Had oral surgery to remove a piece of gum. Infection of the wound causing pain in the ear, mouth and head. Took ketorolac

My mouth is in seething pain. I recently had oral surgery in which a doctor had to cut a small piece of my gum. The wound got infected and now my mouth, ear and whole right side of my head is in pain. The pain meds available to me barely take the edge off. What do I do? I just took 30mg of ketorolac and I still can t sleep.
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  96
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i am glad you wrote in, according to the dental history provided by you, it is not clear what dental treatment have you undergone, but ,yes you have developed infection in the treated area.
i know the pain you are experiencing is severe and radiating,
therefore,kindly visit your dentist as he/she will prescribe you antibiotics and anti-inflammatory , ketorol won't help.
i recommend warm saline rinses, along with antibacterial(betadine) mouth wash 3-4 times/day.
i hope i answere your query,
i wish you good health,
take care.

Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Arati C Koregol's  Response
thanks for the concern.
dont worry you will be fine in 2-3 days. but as you have mentioned its an infected wound , taking only pain killers will not be much helpful. you have to take a course of antibiotics along with oral mouth wash. this will help in reducing the infection.its better to consult your surgeon for the opinion and needful irrigation of the wound.
so dont worry. take care.
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
If the wound has gotten infected then only painkillers wouldnt help. I would strongly recommend you to visit your dentist so that he can prescribe antibiotics as the infection needs to be controlled for pain medication to be effective. You also need to do warm saline gargles to remove any pus or debris from the area which may help in easing off the pain.
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
I read your problem,you did not mentioned from which area gum piece has been removed and why did you go for this surgery and when did you go for surgery?
so i will suggest you please visit your dentist as soon as possible and go for clinical examination done because without clinical examination i am not able to say anything.and please follow all the given instructions properly.
nothing to get worried.take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor