Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Had mild neuralgia on left side of face, constant pressure, swelling of blood vessels right behind left ear. Cure?

I have had mild neuralgia on the left side of my face for years. It comes and goes and seemed to be related to nerves and seizure activity, ( I started to have grand mal seizures monthly for two years then they just as inexplicably stopped). Recently I lost my father. I have been drinking more often and maybe this is related...but now I have constant pressure and swelling of the blood vessels right behind my left ear. Sometimes it inflames the nerves and I get that burning nerve pain on the left side of my face. I also get ticking of the upper lip sometimes...
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of trigeminal neuralgia. In this condition, electric shock like pain occurs often on one side of face, lasting for few seconds to a minute. Pain may occur several times per day.

Carbamazepine tablets give a lot of relief.

With inflamed blood vessel, one should exclude a condition called as temporal arteritis. Elevated ESR in blood may be a clue for that.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor