Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Had fracture in hip and sacrum, constant pain in back. MRI showed bulging disc with annular tear. Suggestion?

Hi, my name is Irene and i am 23 years old. 5 years ago i had a car accident and had fractures in hips and sacrum , stayed in hospital for 1 1/2 month lying down. didn t need surgery. everything after that was fine i used excercise alot and never feel pain in my lower back until a year and half ago. Since then i ve been having constant pain. never gone away for a second. i ve been to so many doctors.. chiropractors, orthopedics , physicians for physiotherapy, anti inflammotary medicine. no results! i ve gone through everything.. last mri showed i have Bulging disc with annular tear at the L5/S1 level without evidence of nerve roots compression. mild multilevel bulging discs from L1/2 to L4/5 without evidence of nerve roots compression. Also there is a small subcortical bone marrow edema in the iliac bone at the level of the proximal aspect of the sacroiliac joint on both sides, corresponding to mild bilateral sacroileitis. Now the only thing they suggest is cortizone medication. the first year i was much worse now it just seems the pain will not fade away. PLEASE HELP.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response

It seems that you are suffering from multiple level lumbosacral disc prolapse mild type without root compression.You also have sacroiliatis bilateral. Sacroiliatis causes pain in your lower back and buttocks as it connects to lower spine and pelvis.It gets aggrevated on prolonged standing and climbing.Treatment depends on signs and symptoms you are having and also to evaluate for spondyloarthropathies like ankylosis spondylitis .Treatment includes pain relievers, muscle relaxants,corticisteroids,rest physical therapy, lumbosacral corset. Corticosteroids like betamethasone or trimcinolone can be injected into joint that reduce inflammation and pain.But you can receive few joint injection a year because it weakens your joint.Other options are DMARDS, TNF inhibitors if associated with ankylosis spondylopathies.If medical treatment fails, radiofrequency denervation,electrical stimulants or joint fusion tried. Dont worry, consult rheumatologist and neurologist for helping you
Answered: Sat, 22 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor