Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Had fracture in D12 due to osteo arthritis. One leg affected, suggested knee replacement. Back pain severe, on pain killers. Any treatment?

Hi, I have a question. My mother aged 70 years has a fracture in D12 and this appears to be a result of osteo artthritis... One leg has been affected and doctor has suggested a knee replacment. The leg pain is under control due to application of an ointment however the backpain is severe and now she is on pain killers... Pls. advise the best treatment available for the same...Rootcause in back pain is fracture of D12 bone... I am bsed in Mumbai (India) and would like to visit a doctor who is based in Muumbai.
Asked On : Thu, 10 May 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Since your mother is 70 years and osteoporotic and has a fracture of D 12 vertebra with severe pain in the back, I would suggest her to undergo a procedure called Vertebroplasty (Injecting bone cement in the fractured vertebra). This is a very safe procedure nowadays and the cost is also not much. I guarantee your mother will have no pain after the procedure.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 10 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Madhavi S Hullur's  Response
she is having osteoporosis [brittle bones], which are prone for fractures on-off.
simultaneously, she might be having O.A of knee joint, for which she may/ may not need knee replacement, depending on her condition & her tolerence.
she needs to be on calcium supplements life-long....

Yes, u sholud visit ur doc, for check-up once in a while. For D-12 # she needs complete bed rest & day care.
Answered: Thu, 10 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor