Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Had female genital mutilation done. Can reconstruction surgery be done?

Hi, I`m 37 years old from a country that does an FGM- female genital mutlition (partial/whole cut of female genitalia) or circumsision to young gilrs. And unfortunately I was one of the victims, my mom broought a mid wife to do it for me when I was only 7 yearsold. they cut both labias, clit and stitched all leaving a very small opening from the natural opening. this makes me suffer every time I have MS/ period. my question is: is there any way to make a reconstruction surgery, I know the clit nerves were gone, but I`m hoping to do some thing. I hate my self, the midwife and my family!
also, I`m still single and virgin and always think that I might not get married because of this problem. I always have bad menstrual pains .please assist me or advice!
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
OBGYN 's  Response
May 2013
Thanks for the query.

It is really bad, I am very sorry for you.
You once consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the possible corrective method.
Depending on that you can undergo dilatation or vaginoplasty.
That can help you to some extent in making the opening large.
No need to hate your self, there is nothing wrong in your part. You can't change your past but live happily in future as every problem will have a solution.
For more details you can ask me through:
Take care.

Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor