Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Had discectomy, discharge, feel a lump at the top of incision. Should I be concerned about infection?

I had a discectomy about 7 weeks ago on my L4 and L5. It is pretty tender to the touch. The top and bottom of the incision appears ro have a small hole where the stitch fell out a while back and there was some discharge this evening. I can also feel a lump at the top of the incision like a knot. Should I be concerned about infection?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The small knot at the site of incision could be due to a local fibrosis in the area. You need to get the discharge evaluated and cultured to differentiate a reactive discharge from an infective discharge.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor