Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Had car accident. Lump on thigh. X-ray shows fatty lump. No pain. How to remove it?

I was involved in a car accident 3 month ago, my right leg was bruised and swollen. after about 6 to 8 weeks my leg was getting better the swelling on my lower leg and the bruise were healing , but on my thigh ive got a large lump that hasn t gone down. i got it checked trough an x ray and my gp said its just a fatty lump. he said nothing can be done to remove it and it might be permanent. its sticking out all the time underneath my clothes. it does not hurt but when you press it hard i can feel a little pain. i need to know if there is anything i can do to remove the lump. i try to massage it now and then but its still not helping. please help. Surgery would be the last option i want to consider
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  321
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The soft, 'fatty' lump on your your thigh is most likely a "Lipoma". A Lipoma is a benign (i.e. harmless) tumour which is composed of fatty tissue. They are fairly common and are found in about 1% of people. They are usually small, but sometimes can grow large in size.

Treatment is usually not required, unless it causes pain or restriction of movement. Some people chose to have it removed for cosmetic reasons. The definitive treatment for lipomas is surgical removal. The procedure is quite simple and can be done as out-patient / day- care basis, under a local anaesthetic itself. Since lipomas are found just beneath the skin, removal is easy and the whole procedure takes only about 30 minutes.

So, I don't think you have to worry about this. If you have significant discomfort or want to get rid of it due to cosmetic reasons, then the only option would be surgical removal.

Best wishes,
Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Answered: Mon, 12 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor