Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Had burn on foot, using iodine, slowly healing, advised skin graft for one spot. Not choose graft?

Hello, I burned myself on the top of my foot 3 weeks ago...went to a local doctor and he said it was a 2nd degree burn and told me to use iodine and keep it wrapped and wash it daily. It has been 3 weeks...some of it has heeled but there is one spot that hasn't heeled yet. I went to a burn center and they said I need a skin graft. I started researching online about grafting and read their usually for 3rd degree burns. My question is what good is a skin graft since its been 3 weeks already and its slowly heeling. And what will happen if I decide not to do a skin graft?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dec 2013
Hi Amanda,
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to HCM.
As per your query you have second degree burn over foot. You have not mentioned the exact area of burn wound (meaning the size of the wound). There are certain areas of body which have less blood supply so are either difficult or slow to heal. The top of the foot is also the same kind of area which along with slow healing is also prone for secondary infection. You are correct in your researching that skin grafting is done generally on 3rd degree burn but mind it “generally/ usually” are not the case in everybody and every site. We have to go for transplantation of skin where we see late healing or difficult healing area. Generally wounds of all kind heal 1 cm in 10 n-15 days of period, so it is a clinician’s decision rather than a simple thing if your wound is not healing beyond 21 days. Also you have to understand, as I already said, if the area is not taken care properly it can get infected and can go into non healing ulcer stage. So it is better to consult either the same center or any good plastic surgeon who can guide you the best for the problem.
With best health wishes,
Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
MD ( Dermatology and STD/ Venereology)
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor