Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had blurred vision. Re occurrence of staph infection in leg. Optic nerve damaged in right eye. What should I do?

My husband traveled in a plane in 2008 and immediately had blurred vision in his left eye coming out of the plane when he landed.

In 2009 he was lifting up on his truck to help get it unstuck from a ditch and popped something in his left leg. Since then he developed a staph infection in that same leg and in the area where the injury occurred. The staph infection has been reoccurring since then.

In 2011 his vision in his left eye was almost completely gone. He was tested for MS but all the tests did not conclude that he had MS. Instead he was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis.

In 2012 his vision in his right eye began to blur, he lost his peripherial vision, and can see from only the top part of the eye, nothing below. This time he was diagnosed with AION. The doctor that originally thought he had MS also thought he had AION but there wasnt enough conclusive evidence until he lost vision in his right eye. His optic nerve is damaged and swelling. He has taken Predisone. The doctor said AION came on due to my husband not taking care of his sleep apnea properly. She told him to wear his machine, lose weight, drink plenty of water, and take a daily chewable aspirin to control the swelling. My husband has done all of what she recommended and recently his optic nerve has swollen again and he is back on Predisone.

I fear that he will go blind, he is very depressed about losing his vision, and I'm concerned that maybe it might be from the reoccuring staph infection that originally caused the lack of blood flow to his optic nerve...what should we do next?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  58
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
dear mam
kindly get one ct scan orbit done and blood tests like crp ,esr and many others get done .does your husband have sinusitis get it checked if its infectitious it can spread please consult a retina specialist .kindly let me know the results
take care
Answered: Thu, 25 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor