Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Had aortic valve replacement due to heart failure. Recurring heart failure. Further treatment?

hi. my mom is 88 and has had aortic valve replaced 3 years ago. before surgery she was having heart failure. after surgery she was like 10 years younger. a few months ago she began having problems again and was just admitted to hospital for congestive heart failure again. she is doing fine they say. what is happening here and why did it come back.
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in. I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence. Heart failure 3 years after surgery needs evaluation. There are two obvious possibility, I presume it was a bio prosthetic valve and it has started showing degeneration or when the surgery was done there was ongoing muscle disease component apart from mechanical component due to valve. After the mechanical component was taken care of, the muscle component contributing to failure progressed. She needs to be examined by a cardiologist and evaluated after thorough examination with EKG, Chest X-ray and echocardiography. My feeling is she would do well with conservative treatment for failure. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover
Answered: Sun, 23 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor