Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Had a small spot or infraction on lung. Should I go for X-ray or blood test first?

Today, my doctor informed me that i had a small spot or infraction on my lung , and that the radiologist had sent a report saying this, and wrote that i should have a follow-up x-ray ..but my doctor said he needed blood tests first.. should i be concerned? I smoke , and i m 62 yr old (female).. i don t understand why my doctor won t treat me right away, considering the x-ray doctor advised him to.. what am I missing? What should I be aware of, and do you have any advice? Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Cardiac Surgeon 's  Response
A small spot in a lung has lot of differential diagnosis. A repeat Chest X ray will tell weather it is increasing in size or not. A benign, mild disease will not enlarge with time.
If it is an infarction, it is self limiting. Blood tests are required to see weather you have any infection.
I would suggest you to quit smoking. Any lung lesions in a smoker should be investigated fully.
All the best.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Zainab Hassanali's  Response
i would go with your doctor decision first to do blood tests as we need to rule out if the infarction is jst inflammatory process or due to beginning of a tumor, need to rule out tb despite you not having any symptoms of it.
as you already have a risk factor of smoking.
i would suggest follow the doctors advice to be sure of what treatment you will be given.
hope to have answered your query
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor