Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Had a route filling on front teeth. Now I suffer from pus & bleeding. Taking metronizadole. What are the findings and required treatment?

Hi, thank u 4 ur help. I have had a route filling on a front teeth crown 3/12 ago & now I suffer from pus & blood coming out from the gum,went back twice to see my dentist who is Nhs told me looks like I have an infection & prescribed metronizadole for 1/52 but said want to refer me to a specialist dentist but private, I've asked him if I could be referred to hospital or another Nhs dentist but said that the referral will be rejected & has to be done privately! Is this true? Also he charges me every time I go to see him though I read that I shouldn't be charged for it if it was the same & main problem from the start as this is why I went principally to see him !!!
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hi ,
Thanks for asking query,
Root canal treatment is the procedure in which all the root canals of particular tooth are completely cleaned , disinfected, and filled with inert material ,so there is no chance of pain with the particular tooth if the procedure is properly done.
Pain following the rct can be due to incomplete procedure,reinfection due to improper cleaning,infection in that area can be due to periodontitis also.
I suggest you to visit dentist get it checked clinically and radio graphically .
Have the scaling done, maintain oral hygiene, take tab oflox-ornidazole twice , tab ebility thrice, use antiseptic mouthwash twice daily.
hope this will help.
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
From the details issued,its clear that your root canal treated tooth has re-infected.
I would suggest you to get a radiological evaluation and pus has to be drained as soon as possible.
If you do not have confidence on your dentist,you can go for second opinion.
Your dentist may be trying to save the tooth.
If tooth cannot be saved,it has to be removed.
Take complete course of antibiotics.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Use mouthrinses to prevent bacterial accumulation.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

According to your history i can suspect some remnant of the infected pulp tissue has left unexplored during the root canal procedure or there is a missed canal due to which the infection has gone worse and you have developed a periodontal abscess due to spread of infection to the underlying tissues.

This type of periodontal abscess drains in the oral cavity and may lead to nausea and vomiting.

This type of periodontal abscess needs to be drained and compressed in position and then followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesic will subside the symptoms of pain and swelling.

once the abscess is drained the infected tooth needs to be explored again for root canal procedure.

you need to get an x ray done the affected area to confirm the presence of infection,

exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination and evaluation by taking radiographs.

so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

After a succesful root canal treatment the canals are completely devitalised and filled with a inert material so there are no chances of pain.
Pain can be due to imcompletely done procedure, re-infection, or food lodgemnet between the tooth and the cap, i would suggest you to take an x-ray of the tooth depending upon which the treatment will be re-RCT .
Go for complete mouth scaling and polishing.
Take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor