Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Had a permanent filling in molar tooth, painful. Suggested RCT. What is going on?

Hi, iam 39 years old female. Few months back i had permanent filling in molar tooth ...cavity was slightly deep. Now often i get pain. Same doctor adviced me to provide a medicine in my tooth and have permanent filling and if it doesnot work she suggested me RCT. My question is if the cavity was already deep why didnt she suggest me RCT or medicine that time itself? Ad now i have a doubt whether to go for medicine or straight away for RCT?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  311
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking th query,

Pain can be because the cavity is too deep and the filled material comes in contact with the pulp , or the infection had already spread to the pulpal tissue .

Visit to the dentist get checkup done .
Take an x-ray .
Take full course of antibiotics and analgesics .

The treatment will be RCT .
Unless the tooth is devitalised , disinfected and sealed to the apex you may experience pain .

Use 0.2% of chlorhexidine mouthwash solution gargles thrice daily.

Hope this helps out .

Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

sometimes the cavity does not appear to be so deep that the tooth can be considered for root canal treatment. careful observation and,correct clinical evaluation might help in this case.

sometimes, also even x ays, being two dimensional view are not able to give correct picture of spread of infecton.

therefore i would advise you to get root canal treatment done for your tooth by a specialist(endodontist).

If pain and infection are present then a complete course of antibiotics and analgesics would help.visit an endodontist to avoid infection from spreading further.

Hope this helps.

Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
Hello ,
welcome to HCM forum,
i will be glad to answer your query,
first of all i would like you to know that whether a tooth requires RCT or not depends on the extent of infection in the tooth , which can only be confirmed with tooth x-ray. I am not too sure if your dentist did an x-ray of your tooth. I do not know what was the condition of your tooth a few months ago, therefore i will not be able to provide you with the reason as to why your dentist did not perform RCT before.
It is advisable to perform a root canal treatment if there is a doubt of infection in the deeper layers of the tooth.
I will advise you to get root canal treatment done for your tooth by a specialist(endodontist).
If pain and infection are present then a complete course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication will be prescribed by your dentist.
Do not worry, kindly visit an endodontist soon to avoid infection from spreading further.
i hope this answer was useful,
i wish you good health.
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing in .

Pain in tooth with permanent filling is due to the infected pulp causing pain as it comes in contact with the restorative material filled.

I advice you to directly get the root canal treatment.

The pain will lead into swelling and progression of periapical infection and thereby abscess formation.

Antibiotics and analgesics can be administered as per dentist's advice.

Hope you get well soon.



Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

Pulp tissue has no function in fully developed permanent teeth, but it does become mildly inflamed any time a tooth receives dental treatment. Every tooth that has a filling or crown is susceptible to this mild inflammation becoming more severe.
Periodontal or gum disease means a pocket has formed in the gum surrounding a tooth.
The necrotic tissue will eventually lead to an infection, commonly referred to as an abscessed tooth.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query,
It is possible that there is an infection or Amalgam fillings which your dentist probably used are a mixture of various metals. Metals conduct heat and cold therefore you will be sensitive to both. Most of the time, this passes in a few weeks but on occasion the sensitivity can last for months. If you have a problem for a long time with this, the next time you need a filling, you may want to ask your dentist about using another type of filling. These other types are not as strong as amalgam though and so you may need to have the tooth refilled after several years.
visit the dentist and get an IOPA done
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful
Answered: Sun, 17 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor