Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Had a medical abortion, test shows faintly positive, pain in abdomen. Should I go for scan?

hi i had a medical abortion on 21st dec lost a lot of blood and clots redone a preg test on 11th jan as i was told to the test came back very faintly positive, when i press on my lower tummy it aches not in pain feel like i have trapped wind??? when i told this to nurse she said could be hormones and would ring me back fri and im to do another test im feeling anxious and just wish i could find out sooner as i have 4 children and i work full time as teaching assistant could you advise me that its best to go for a scan monday?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
OBGYN 's  Response
thanks for the query.

Urine hCG decreases after abortion and can take anywhere from 9 to 35 days, with a median of 19 days to be back to normal.

However, the time-frame for when an hCG result will be negative is dependent on what the hCG level was at the time of the miscarriage.

If the levels of hCG do not fall to undetectable levels, some hCG-producing tissue may remain and have to be removed.

In your case i recommend you to get a repeat USG done to know the retained products of conception which needs to be evacuated either medically or surgically.
Take NSAID's for symptomatic pain relief.

hope this helps,
Dr Nilofer
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor