Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Had a hip replacement, lower spine degeneration, leg pain. Should I see a vein specialist?

Hello, I m a female 67 & have had a R hip replacement & my lower spine is degenerating, but it is my legs that ache painfully. They re painful to touch down the outside of the leg between knee & thigh & I was told yesterday that veins can ache. I ve had xrays on hips & lower back but perhaps I need to see a vein specialist? Is it correct that veins can hurt?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Radiologist, Interventional 's  Response

Varicose veins can cause swelling, spider veins, pain and even wounds over the feet and legs.

You can see a doctor and have an Ultrasound of your leg veins to look for this.

If this is confirmed, it can be treated by Endovenous Laser or Radiofrequency ablation applied to the veins via a small needle prick by an Interventional Radiologist like myself.


Dr.Saurabh Joshi,
Consultant Vascular Interventional Radiologist
Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Yeah, veins can hurt but only if they become inflamed. In such a case you will have fever, pain and tenderness along the length of the vein and also there will be redness and warmth of the affected vein. I don't think you have this problem.

I suspect LUMBAR DISC DISEASE in you which might be causing all the symptoms in you. Get an MRI done for your Lumbar spine to get a proper diagnosis.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow his advice.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor