Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Had a fall on right knees. Having pain, swollen, hurts to touch, bruise. What is wrong?

I was playing softball today when I slid and fell on my right knee very hard. At first there wasn t too much pain, but it soon kept increasing. Towards the end of practice I checked my knee and it was very swollen and hurt to touch. There is now a bruise where I hit my knee directly and and rather large bump on the inside of my knee where nothing hit. All around my knee is in a lot of pain and I ve been icing it on and off. It s still swollen but not as bad but it throbs when I stand up. It is also painful to bend my knee. What is wrong?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  238
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing yor query.

After reading your post, it seems that you might have got fracture of Patella, the knee cap bone.
You should immediately get yourself examined by an Orthopedic surgeon.
Also get an X-Ray of your Right Knee (AP and Lateral view) done to know the type of injury on the patella, which can determine the method of management.

If the pieces of fractured bone are close to each other, surgery may not be needed. Casts or splints may be sufficient for healing.
But if the pieces are displaced, surgery may be needed to align the displaced pieces.

You can take pain killer like Ibuprofen one tablet twice a day after meals along with an antacid for relief from your symptoms.

But I would suggest that you should get yourself first examined clinically and follow the treatment accordingly.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor