• question-icon

Had a bump on the head after receiving a blow. Should I be concerned? Was that a contusion?

Between end 2010 to beginning 2011 my head received a blow [ middle-to-lower-left side ]
that left a raised area of a bump. I felt it significantly. It stayed there for 2-3 weeks and now I don't think it's there anymore.
-Did I have a contusion?
-Will my mental faculties be affected by incidents like this?
-Is the saying that our IQ will drop true? Would head injury/incidents like this lower IQ?
Symptoms : No migraines, no urge to vomit, just had to sleep by resting on my right for a period. Appetite's fine.
Did people lose neurons when they have that kind of damage to the head?
Mon, 24 Jun 2013
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

In your case, it is too late to have any squeal of head injury as it is in too past.

You might have mild edema of muscles over head during that time.

You should not get worried about as you do not have any symptoms.

There are possibility of loosing Intelligence or behavioral changes post head injury, but is is less likely in your case.

I hope It will help you.

Thanks.
Neurologist Dr. Sudhir Kumar's  Response
Thank you for posting your query.
What you are describing is a scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin over skull). To understand if there was any contusion or any other injury to brain, CT scan report of the brain is required. If you have them, please upload.
Then, we would be able to decide if any damage occurred to the brain or not.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: drsudhirkumar@yahoo.com
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/