Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Had Mirena IUD implanted. Bacterial overgrowth, yeast infection. Swelling, soreness and redness in vagina. Help?

Hi, about one year and a half ago I had the Mirena iUD implanted and ever since then i ve been suffering from repeated vaginal discomfort. Tests from several Dr. visits came back with bacteria overgowth, but not long after being treated for yeast infection (with Flucanozole and other topical creams), the sypmtoms of itchy, irritated, sore and swollen labia has been reoccuring. I am not sexually active, but every other week it seems (after applying nystatin cream which provides some relief for a few days then I stop using it) the swelling, soreness and redness, with what appears to be tiny red bumps, reappear on my labia minora , mostly. This problem has become very frustrating for me. Is it possible that the IUD is causing bacteria to build up in the vagina which results in the discomfort externally? Please note that my discharge is normal, no smell, but the soreness and discomfort externally remains. Is there anything I can take to eradicate this problem all togther? I ve been contemplating to have the IUD removed, any advise on this issue is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
This IUD has no proven side effect of increasing the chance of bacterial overgrowth in vagina.
Although as you have a history of discomfort & infection that dates back to Mirena insertion & you are not sexually active, then one possibility could be an allergy to some of the component of the device.
I think it would be wise for you to get it removed. Please consult your Gynecologist for this & to get an alternative treatment.
Also, send the device for lab test after removal & get your blood sugar tested as well.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 15 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
welcome to hcm,
from the description it seems that you should first of all consult and get a check up with your gynecologist and get some tests done .blood sugar should be tested for to rule out diabetes .
take full course of treatment and be in contact with your gynecologist till yo get complete cure . it will be helpful if the i u d is removed because some times this may be responsible for persistent infection .
hope you should recover early .

Answered: Sun, 15 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor