Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Had FBC blood tests. Menopausal. Been on estrogen. Why hot flushes and joint pain?

Hi! I ve had a FBC blood tests and I got a message from surgery asking me to go in for furthr blood tests - folate , B12 and thyroid . I don t have any symptoms it was just routine. I m also menopausal and had been on estrogen but off it for a few months but started again since getting usual symptoms again - hot flushes , joint pain , tired etc but they ve all subsided since I ve been back on estrogen. Would you think I have anything to be concerned about?
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to health care magic.

When a FBC is done the doctor usually looks at the red blood cells and haemoglobin, the white cell count (WBC) and the platelet count first then looks at the other parts of the results which give additional information about the former.

A full blood count can done a routine check up or a follow to check the result of certain treatments. It can also be done if you had presented to your doctor with symptoms related to anemia, infection, inflammation, excessive bleeding or difficulty or excess clotting or symptoms suggestive of malignancy.

Usually when a doctor asks for folate, vitamin B12 and thyroid after a full blood count it is usually because the haemoglobin may have low suggesting anemia ( low red cell mass- the red cells transport oxygen to different parts of the body.
When a blood test indicates anemia the doctor then has to determine the type and cause of the anemia. The rest of the blood count can give you an idea of both.
The MCV ( mean corpusular volume) tells the average volume of the red blood cell.
The MCH ( mean corpusular haemoglobin) tells you the average amount of heamoglobin in the red blood cell.
Normally the doctor will look at the two: when they are high it may indicate vitamin B12 or folate deficiency which is why the doctor may suggest these be done.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
You should speak to your doctor regarding any other concerns
Answered: Thu, 26 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Danish Memon's  Response
hello.since you have been advised to get folate, B12 and thyroid it appears you have anemia as these test investigate the same , and these test will also rule be helpful to rule out conditions which give you tiredness, hot flushes etc.estrogen is useful if you are perimenopausal, premature menopausal or you suffer from osteoporosis in the form of hormone replacement get those tests done as advised.start the treatment only when advised by a physician, gynecologist or an endocrinologist.never on your own.
hope that has answered your query.all the best
Answered: Thu, 26 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor