Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

HIV positive and have TB infection in brain

my ex-boyfriend is HIV positive since two years not on regular retroviral therapy. Now recently he an episode of seizures, following which various investigations were done and cause was found to be due to TB infection in brain which treating physician mentioned as TB abscess. Doctor could u please explain what TB Abscess means? Is it commonly seen infection? How can he recover from this infection? What about his treatment outcome?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Oct 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  1541
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Tuberculosis brain abscesses (TBA) are an unusual clinical presentation of central nervous system tuberculosis occurring extremely infrequently in developed countries, and almost always in immunocompromised patients like in AIDS. Before the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy, TBA was associated with a high mortality rate in AIDS patients. The HIV infected patient presenting with multiple TBA who recovered completely with a combination of HAART and anti-tuberculosis treatment. Current anti-tuberculous drugs are highly effective when treatment is initiated early, before the onset of altered mentation or focal neurologic deficits. Because the clinical outcome depends greatly on the stage at which therapy is initiated, early recognition is of paramount importance.
Answered: Tue, 3 Nov 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor