Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Gynecomastia, one breast larger than the other, painful at the center with dense breast tissue. How can I get rid of this?

I am a 35 y.o. male with painful gynecomastia like symptoms. I have been seen by my PCP and had testosterone/estrogen/thyroid levels taken and all have been within the normal ranges and breast cancer has been ruled out. This started about 7 years ago with my left breast being markedly larger than my right with a painful to touch center and within the last year my right breast has caught up with my left and also is painful to touch in the center. My wife states that I would be a B cup as far as size goes. My PCP stated that the only abnormal thing she could find was that my breast tissue was dense. I am overweight but other than that I am healthy. I weigh 187 lbs and I stand 5 11 ; am a nonsmoker and the only meds I take are OTC Claritin for allergies and Paxil for anxiety. Please help me to find out why this is happening and/or what I can do to get rid of this burden. (FYI-I was not overweight when this started 7 years ago).
Asked On : Fri, 20 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  147
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
hi, although your above mentioned hormone level are normal but you should go for Prolactin level estimation as it is a major cause of gynaecimastia, for how long duration you are taking paxil as it can also cause gynaecomastia if taken for very long duration so you should get its dose adjusted or even you can replace it , for this it is better to consult a psychiatrist.also try to loose weight as obesity leads to increased formation of estrogen.
after all if not releived by above process then you can consult aspecialist for its surgical management.
wish you all the best.
Answered: Sat, 5 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor