Guidance required on precaution to be taken while adopting a child

We are the childless for the 19 years now one unmarried girl got pregnant through his lover 8th months completed, lover left her, she is under care on one of Child Care NGO. One of NGO activist approached us and perusing for adoption and bearing the all expenditure of girl pregnancy. Please guide us what precaustions we should take to adopt the child.
Fri, 6 Sep 2013
Psychologist 's  Response
Dear
Welcome to HCM
We understand your concerns

I went through your description. You should have mentioned your country of residence or citizenship. Every country has its own adoption laws nd regulations and they differes significantly country to country.

There are certain common guidelines to follow:
1. Allow only if adoption is so much a necessity.
2. Every mother wants to retain her child, this mother may not agree to this now, but later she might ask for the child and the court will not question her.
3. Legally you will not be allowed to keep a child if te legitimate mother asks it for, even if there is an agreement on this matter (differs with countries)
4. Find out the health of mother for any STDs etc.

There are so many other problems associated with adopting a child whose mother and father is still alive. Better to adopt an orphan child. Be careful.

Hope this clears your doubts. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck.