Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Gout, elevated uric acid, knee pain, swelling in elbow. Which specialist should I consult?

Hello I have had gout and elevated uric acid for years. I take 100 mg allopurinal 2x a day I have not had a painfull toe type gout symptom in years, but. I have been developing pains in the knees and recently discovered that I have what appears to be popeye elbow in my right arm . I have no pain just a doughy swelling on the one elbow. I ve been applying ice and taking 600mg ibuprofin 1x a day. I ve only recently discovered the that this is likely bursitus and related to my gout What type of specialist should I see to diagnose and treat my condition?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.

From description swelling over ankle seems to be inflammatory in nature. it might be a bursitis. tendenitis or acute attack of gout.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Tue, 1 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor