Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Got hurt on the chest while playing. Severe pain on the breast with coughing sneezing and working. Need x-ray?

playing basketball with my son and he turned and elbowed me in the left breast . The pain was intense, i felt like my boob went inside out. After a week of pain, I called the dr, who said give it another week. Well i have and dr perscibed an anti-inflammatory med, saying give it another week on the meds , then see how i feel. There was never any bruising .The pain still hurts, I can barely sweep and mop my floors , it hurts when i cough , clear my throat , sneeze , yell aloud, or laugh aloud. Just taking a deep breath hurts , forget about my exercise routine. When should I ask the dr to send me for an xray? i am not imagining the pain. I actually have a high tolerance for pain but this is really getting to me. any info is greatly appreciated.:)
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM.
if the pain is not reducing after a week, you should get an Xray chest to look for any rib trauma (I personally feel it is much less likely with a punch from a kid ). could be a blunt trauma to ribs .
more likely would be a trauma to the soft tissues of the breast.
A breast examination by your doctor and if necessary , un ultrasound of the breast would help to see if there is any contusion / collection of blood etc.
I do not think it is serious , but need to look for teh extent of trauma causing intense pain.. you can ask for injectable or continuous release pain killer patches for better pain relief.
keep the breast well supported till then and see if reduces pain.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck !
May I request you to rate your experience here before you close.
Thank you.
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor