Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Got hit on ribcage. Diagnosed with bruise and a fractured rib. Getting pain and numbness. Worrisome

Hi, I was recently punched in the ribcage, the lower left side. I went to the dr and they said I had bruising and a fractured rib. It s been a few days since it happened and now I am experiencing pain, tingling , and numbness in my left arm and shoulder . Should I be seen again? I am worried that my spleen is either enlarged or may rupture. Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.

Pain, tingling , and numbness in left arm and shoulder might be due to pinched nerve at cervical region.It seems not to be related to fracture rib.Spleen may rupture following displaced fracture rib but possibility of this seems to be less. You may consult your doctor regarding this.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Chest bruise and fracture ribs do produce chest pain.SIince movements of respiration moves the fractured rib so it gives pain.Ruptured spleen is surgical emergency ,it woun't wait for days to produce pain.There is no harm in reconsulting your Doctor.
You need analgesic anti inflammatory drugs(pain killer) for relief of pain
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Thu, 7 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor