Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Got hit on eye. Swelling and dark bruise appeared. Should I consult a doctor?

I got punched in the eye a few days ago. There was some regular swelling , and dark coloring as I expected. It felt like it was healing well, but I tried to blow my nose today. I felt pressure and my lower eyelid inflated. Is this something that I need to see a doctor for? Will the swelling go down naturally, or should I get xrays to make sure there is no fracture?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Trauma to eye should never be taken lightly and that too when you have developed haematoma(black blue coloured swelling under skin)
Consult a nearby physician to rule out any injury to your eye and any fracture of skull bone.You need a X Ray skull to rule out fracture skull.
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Anupama Desai's  Response

It is likely that while blowing your nose, the thin bony plate of the ethmoidal sinus must have given way thus allowing air from the sinus to enter into the orbital space (below the skin /subcutaneous tissue). It will disappear gradually and would not require any treatment. Apart from this swelling if you have any other problem then do consult your ophthalmologist for a closer look.


Answered: Sat, 29 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor