Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Got hit on Adam's apple. Having troubling in breathing, feeling dizzy and started vomiting. Any thoughts?

My son got hit in the Adam s apple while playing basketball and was having trouble breathing right after, but seemed to recover quickly and went back in the game. On the drive home he felt very dizzy and started vomiting and had a headache . He has had a concussion before (3 years ago) and I thought about that. But Thursday he had packing removed from his ear that was in ther for 6 weeks after tympanoplasty .... I was wondering if that was what was causing the symptoms, since this was the first time he was active like this after removing that packing. Any thoughts? He is 12 and still dizzy with a headache this morning. Karen
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  261
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding dizziness in your child who had been operated for tympanoplasty 6 weeks back and was having ear packing, recently he had got hit over his adam's apple, which made him little dyspnoic but soon he recovered.

Now you are having doubt about dizziness weather it is due to recent trauma over adam's apple or a complication of tympanoplasty operation.

Since after sustaining injury over neck your son recovered soon and during feeling of dizziness he had no respiratory distress therefore neck injury may be ruled out . On the other hand gauge packing of ear may be the reason for giving infection to labyrinth which may result in dizziness.But this demands a thorough examination of ear along with these investigations-

1- Pure tone audiometry.

2- Vestibular function test.

For getting immediate relief you may give to your child-

a- Cinnarzine.

b- Maintain electrolyte .

c- Take rest.

Finally he should be thoroughly examined by an ENT doctor / Neurologist to find out the real pathology.


Answered: Wed, 23 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor