Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Goose egg developed after forehead hitting the pool. Applied ice pack, area swollen. Medical advice required?

My 6 year old daughter hit her forehead on the side of a pool yesterday while diving in. She developed a goose egg immediately. We iced the area several times throughout the afternoon and now the goose egg has gone down but the area is still swollen and it appears to have spread wider than the original swollen spot. It is tender and feels mushy to the touch. We are worried that it may not be just swollen flesh, but fluid. Is this a possibility? Her eyes seems fine and her energy level is good. She still has an appetite . The area is also bruising a little. Can you advise if we should take her to the hospital or if what is happening sounds normal?
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  347
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
ideally u should get it checked..her vision and general condition by physician. to rule out serious impact get the CT scan rule out fracture..give her pain killer and use antibiotic ointment on the open wound/bruise..u should also check that she should not be drowzy/ she should not get persistent vomitting and for 48 hrs.
Answered: Wed, 11 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon Dr. Mayank Singh's  Response
hi davislo18
Thanks for posting your query on healthcare magic
Since your daughter had injury to the forehead against a hard surface( side of pool ) she has developed what is known as a haematoma which is associated with swelling and bruising . The only thing to get worried is if she has a history of loss of consciousness , vomiting , giddiness , bleeding from Ear, nose or throat .If this history is not there , then mostly there is nothing to worry .The haematoma will subside in approximately 10 to 15 days .Still she needs to be examined by a neurosurgeon to rule out any fracture or internal trauma .
I hope i have answered all your queries
In case of any further doubts feel free to post again
God Bless
Answered: Wed, 11 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor