Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Getting treated for low B12 levels. Pernicious anemia diagnosed. Need to see a hematologist?

Hello, i am currently getting treated for low b12 levels which 3 weeks ago it stood at 72, i attended the doctors to be told this and my doctor was going to contact the haematologist in order to see the course of action, she believed it was pernicioys anaemia, however the following day on the friday, i fainted and ended up in an emergency appointment which i began the b12 injections, i have finished my 6 injections within two weeks and now i'm not sure if i attend the doctor again? Do i need to, does she need to test if its working? Because i would like to know if its 100% pernicious anaemia. Please help, would it be advisable to book an appointment to see where i go from now after 6 injections?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Hello, thanks for the query. As you yourself knows that B 12 is water soluble vitamin and it usually not forms in our intestine so extra supplements are necessary. Cyanocobalamine is the name of this B 12 and plenty of amount is found in cheese,meat,eggs , fish,dairy products. In your case it might happen that you have simple anaemia in which Haemoglobin level is usually less than 7-8 gms. Pernicious anemia is a disease due to deficiency of B 12 but haematologist will first firm whether it is pernicious or other form of anemia, so the best way is to approach haematologist.Good luck for nice health.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Sangita's  Response

You should go for complete blood count to see the response of treatment. You should book an appointment with your treating doctor to know further course of action required
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor