Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Getting fear at night, can hear voice, uncontrollable. Treatment?

Hi, My name is anil sagari. My mother s behaviour is not well now days. she getting fear at night and she telling as she hearing some one s voices and they scolding to her and asking to leave this world. I tried to convey her nothing is avaialble here u be cool but she is not controlling her self and behaving as enemy with us. we all are getting tensed with this situation. Kindly guide me how to go out from this situation.
Asked On : Sun, 13 May 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Anil Sagari,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question...

Irrational fear, false beliefs, paranoid ideas, hearing voices, etc. are indicative of a type of psychiatric problem called 'psychosis'. Now, 'psychosis' can be due to various psychiatric illnesses or sometimes, due to medical causes also. Such psychiatric illnesses may include delusional disorder, severe depressive disorder, schizophrenia or late-stage dementia. Sometimes, sudden onset of psychosis in an elderly person can be due to a primary medical cause or a brain pathology. Certain medication like steroids, can also result in the development of psychotic symptoms.

You need to take her to a psychiatrist who will be able to assess her in detail to determine the probable cause for these psychotic symptoms. If he suspects any medical cause or brain pathology, then she may have to undergo a few tests and maybe, a brain scan to detect any such causes.

Treatment will also depend on the nature of the cause. For example, if she has a primary medical pathology, then that has to be treated first. If her psychosis is part of a depressive disorder, then she may require anti-depressants, in addition to the treatment for the psychotic symptoms. If it is part of a delusional disorder or schizophrenia, then anti-psychotic medication would be the primary line of treatment.

All the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Thu, 7 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Raju A.T's  Response

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

The symptoms your mother facing are typical in a illness called delusions or it could also be a part of a condition called Schizophrenia. I would suggest you to take her to a psychiatrist who can counsel her and identify the problem.

Wish her good health.

Dr Raju
Answered: Sun, 13 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor