Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Getting addicted to epilepsy medications. Any treatment?

my wife suffers from epilepsy but it is under control. unfortunately for a couple of years she has been drinking rivitals and the prescription is 60 tablets per month due to her getting dependant to this she cant control the intake and this then affects a number of things however she finishes these tablets in two weeks, this affects her attendance at work , we dont have friends any more no family is visiting us we cant go our which means we are under house arrest due to this abuse, i have mentioned this to het psychologist but it did not help. When i confront her she will accuse me and say i am not her docter. dont no what i must do anymore is there any treatment for this. when she finishes these pills she starting to use accurates same story. Hopeless
Asked On : Sun, 9 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I think your wife needs counselling and psychiatrist's help.

She needs to be explained the side effects of taking more anti-epileptic medications and self-prescription.

It is difficult to manage her problem at home, so, please take her to a psychiatrist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior consultant Neurologist,
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Tue, 23 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor