Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Ganglion cyst on right ankle. Swelling, bruising gone. Soreness, redness persists. Infection with ruptured cyst?

I believe I had a small ganglion cyst on the exterior tendon on my right ankle. I was hit with a puck directly to the ankle bone. Continued to play out the game but once my skate was off the swelling and pain began. A week later I had an X-Ray and no fracture . Swelling and bruising are going away after 10 days but cyst is now gone. Bone is still sore to touch and still slight redness in front of my ankle. Any concerns for infection with ruptured cyst?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  176
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

I personally think that there is nothing much to worry at this juncture. The soft tissue inflammation and healing process will take around 3 weeks to settle down completely. So, untill that time, be patient.

Just use Ice to the injured area. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area. It also reduces the pain.
Use simple analgesics like aleve or advil as needed.

If your symptoms are still persisting even after 3 weeks, then you may need to consult your treating physician.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Tue, 8 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hi and Thanks for your query.

The bruise and cyst is likely to be due to a hematoma formation in the area.
Since the bony injuries have been ruled out, a soft tissue injury is likely. You need to avoid massaging the area and take a mild pain killer for relief. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
The pain and swelling might take over a week to subside. In case there is an acute pain and a sudden increase in swelling then consult your physician for a direct examination to rule out any infection in the area.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 8 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor