Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Fungus in crotch area, jock itch. On clotrimazole. What is going on?

I have had a problem with fungus in my crotch area for quite a long time, known as "Jock Itch", I presume. Over-the -counter creams never wipe it out like they're supposed to, even when I follow the directions properly. To be specific, I've had this ongoing for half my life, and I'm 56 now. I only hope to control it by using Clotrimazole as needed and trying to clean it with soap mornings and evenings. I've never had health insurance, so have never thought I could afford the expense of a dermatologist. Is there any treatment that won't cost hundreds of dollars? By the way, this may have been contracted from a type of fungus from American Samoa- a sailor once said the kind from there was impossible to get rid of. Appreciate your expert advice on this matter...
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  197
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum
You seem to have developed a fungal infection of the groin region..Which can be either tinea infection or candidiasis...
You should try to keep the groin region clean and dry
Do not apply any kind of oils or moisturizing creams over the groin region
Wear cotton undergarments inorder to reduce sweating.
Now as you have been using Clotrimazole gel since long, You can now switch over to another agent like Terbinafine gel over the affected area twice a day.
Also take oral antifungals like fluconazole like 150 mg once a week for upto 6 weeks.
And to relieve the itching, take oral antihistamines like levocetrizine once a day .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor