Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Frequent urination. Ultrasound showed slightly enlarged prostate and thick bladder. What to do next?

Ok, I ve had urinary urgency for some time.I put it down to stress, but I ve just had an ultrasound that shows some thickening in the lower portion of my bladder and a slightly enlarged prostate , I m almost 61 yrs. MY PSA is normal for age. My fathter had nenign prostate hypertrophy . I ve had 3 urinary cytology tests of which I don t know the answer. The question is what s next. Take all these herbal stuff or try to drink more water and reduce all the irritants. John
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
you are having BPH or Benign Prostate hypertrophy,this is common in old age if you have symptoms you must consult a Uro surgeon and get rectal examination and ultrasonography of abdomen to know Residual urine or post void urine. If required CMG and cystoscopy may be done .
In the mean time take less fluid in night and avoid excess of tea and coffee.
In mild cases medical therapy is possible with alfa blocker tamsulosin and alfuzocin.
Saw palmetto extract from Serenoa repens.
There are surgical options for severe cases with good result .
Please take care.
Good Luck

Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor