Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Frequent obstruction of intestines, mucus in stool, vomiting. What do you advise?

I am 58 yrs old. I get obstruction of intestines very frequently. I was operated in 2009 but the obstruction frequency has increased since then. It starts with mucus coming with stool two three times and after that suddenly evrything stops. Air does not pass and in a few hours I start vomiting and then have to get hospitalised. This year this has already happened twice and now I am on the verge of a 3rd one. What do you advise? Regards Arvind Shukla
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi Dear Arvinda thanks for your question ,one important thing in history you have not mentioned is what was cause of obstruction in 2009.From history it looks as if your having adhesion obstruction that is the adhesion which forms after first surgery again cause the intestinal obstruction ,and if operated second time for adhesion obstruction this cycle continues ,these patients are usually managed conservatively,unless dire emergency is there to save the life of the patient it is better for you to be on conservative treatment
Answered: Fri, 14 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Enrique Molina's  Response
Hi drshukla,
i am sorry to hear that. First of all it depends what area of the intestine is getting obstructed, either large or small intestine? based on what you describe I am suspecting it is the small intestine.
Another important factor is why is it happening? there are many reasons, and it could be due to what is called "adhesions" or abdominal scars that develop inside of you after getting multiple surgeries. This can ultimately lead to intermittend small bowel obstruction. Other etiologies could be inflammation, tumors, etc. If you feels it is about to happen, try to drink only liquid to get some "bowel rest". If you start vomiting and stop passing gas from below you need to go to the nearest hospital. After the episode resolves you need further investigation, maybe a pill- capsule endoscopy. If it doesn't resolve you will need another surgery.
Answered: Fri, 14 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor