Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Forgetfulness, does not keep clean, calling out to women. Should we get him checked by doctor?

Hi, my grandfather is 97 yrs old and pretty healthy except for knee joint aches....we never took him to a doctor as he never falls sick and is very healthy otherwise no diseases or health issues....Although since last 8 or 9 years he s started to act strange we understand it s the query is what can I do to help him with his forgetfulness and he doesn t keep himself clean....he can walk and talk and has no problems as such....He also calls women walking by and makes unwelcoming gestures....We are a family of five and we take good care of, feeding and talking with him but he still remains the same....Also should we be getting him checked by a doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychologist 's  Response
Thank you for the query

Dealing and caring an older member in the family can be stressful and difficult.

It is pretty normal to be forgetful at this age.As people get older, changes occur in all parts of the body, including the brain. As a result, some aged people don't remember information as well as what they did. They lose things and forget the usual norms . These are signs of mild forgetfulness, not serious memory problems.
Serious memory problems which affect a persons personality and behavior like Dementia is when one cannot carry out his everyday activities.From your query I understand that he is able to do his daily activities.This is called Mild Cognitive Impairment.
Trying to talk to your grandfather about his misbehavior could help him in understanding the trouble.A care taker's assistance for him can make things simpler and easier especially for his forgetfulness.
If it gets worsened, it is advised to take him to a neuro psychologist. A neuro psychologist is a licensed psychologist with specialized training in assessment and treatment of cognitive problems associated with dementia or other neurological conditions.
Patience and sense of care is from the other family members , considering his old age will help him a lot.

Stay Healthy!
Answered: Mon, 3 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor