For around the past week i have been urinating a lot. Is it possible i have diabetes?

For around the past week ive been urinating like mad. Ive been getting up 3-4 times at night. I think today in between around 10am and 6pm i probably peed like 6-8 times. This is highly unusual considering i probably normally go 3-4 times a day at the most. I have also been somewhat thirsty lately. Not horribly-but more than usual. Ive been drinking alot of water as compared to usual and also some pop-not a whole lot but once again more than usual. Being laid off from work my medical insurance just expired around 3 weeks ago, i am hesitant to run to a doctor . This is not a good time for me to get ill in any way. Reason im asking is ive heard frequent urination and thirst can be signs of diabetes . I wasnt certain.
Wed, 16 Dec 2009