Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Foot discomfort, severe pain, inflammed area on top of foot, swollen. Should i go for x-ray?

My husband had been complaining of foot discomfort the last couple of days. He thought it might have been his new shoes but then when he came home yesterday after playing 9 holes in his golf shoes which have never caused him foot issues he found he could not walk at all on his right foot and he was in severe pain. He has had issues with gout but the gout had always been in his toes when it flared up. He did say he rolled his foot off the back stairs a few days ago so I am doubting whether it is just another gout flair up or something else. He has a large red inflamed area on the top of his foot above the arch and his foot is swollen. He can put absolutely no weight on the foot and it hurts more when he has it toward the floor than when he elevates it. Should I be insisting we get an x-ray or wait have him take his gout medicine and see what happens?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
According to your description , pain and swelling over foot seems to be inflammatory in nature.
It could be an acute attack of gout.It could be a stress fracture.
I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and necessary investigation.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, I advise you to take your husband to an orthopedic surgeon and get all the needed investigations done to arrive at a conclusion what exactly causes so much of pain. Regards
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor