Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Food after swallowing comes back up, voice always sore. Prescribed medicines for reducing acid. Diagnosis?

hello. i am having a real problem with my oesophagus. it feels like when i swallow my food gets trapped part way down and comes back up. i have a really experienced old style doctor in Hamilton ont. they have put the camera down my throat on many occasions to no avail. my voice is always very sore and i loose my voice after speaking for a short preiod of time. they have given me a few drugs to help keep acid down from my stomach , which helped some. this has been going on for years. i am 65 years old and retired. this is making my life very difficult for my family and me. do you have any ideas about this problem that we may have missed? thanks Norm kalnay
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given it appears that you have a GERD gastro esophageal reflux disease. You need to take a long course of rabeprazole or pantoprazole which can be for years. Some surgeons suggest operating the lower part of esophagus , but then that is not very helpful. Refrain yourself from spicy and hot food. Be mild with what you eat. Stop alcohol and smoking. Regular exercise and good diet will also help you.
Yoga and meditation will also help you.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further details.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Pooja Reddy M.D.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of Upper esophageal pathology affecting your larynx.
Presence of impaction of food with voice disturbances suggest the diagnosis.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist and ENT surgeon simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, laryngoscopy and endoscopy for better clarification.
There could also be possibility of esophageal stricture and achlasia cardia.
Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take soft diet along with proton pump inhibitors.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor