Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Fluid in lungs, relapsed after oral antibiotics, improved with IV's, fed pureed food. How long can she sustain ?

My 87 year old mother is in the hospital after I checked on her in the nursing home and found her relapsed after 7 days of oral antibiotics , she was drowning from fluid in her lungs. She had started to improve but they think she aspirated; now hospitalized for 7 days with IV antibiotics and gently given fluids she is remarkably improved! However she is now weaned off fluid and oxygen and nurses are feeding her pureed food. My concern is her return to the nursing home, her loss of weight (now muscles broken down only skin and bones) and to be fed pureed foods; how long can she sustain with such little food?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question. She should be given high protein diet (you may want to consult a dietician). You are right that it may be difficult for her to sustain on little food.
Answered: Wed, 14 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor