Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Fluid discharge through scalp with red blisters post hair dying at a salon. What can be done?

Hello, my father-in-law recently dyed his hair at a salon yesterday & today he has clear fluids coming out of his scalp continuously with red blisters. Is there anything over the counter we can purchase for him? He does not want to go to the doctor because he doesn t have health insurance. He s experimented with hair dye a few years ago with the same allergic reaction , but he said that time there was a stream of fluids coming from his head and even his nails fell off? Why he chose to dye his hair again? Who knows. Is there an indicator when the problem is serious enough to seek medical attention?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  224
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
It is obvious that he has a delayed hypersensitivity to hair dyes (Type IV hypersensitivity) that takes a few hours/days to manifest and lasts for several weeks sometimes.
He must take oral corticosteroids and can also apply topical steroid creams plus antihistamine tablets to control the current situation.
Patch test MUST be done after a few weeks to know which chemical is causing this reactin as the same chemical can be present in several other substances like toothpastes, washing powder, mouthwashes etc .
Answered: Tue, 9 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor