Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Fluid discharge from behind the earlobe. Fungal infection? Not responding to anti-fungal cream

For more than a year I have had a clear fluid that seeps out from behind my earlobe it dries and turns into a flaky white crust that looks like dead skin but I know it is not because I found the clear fluid seeping out many times. Daily I wash the skin clean behind the ear removing all the dry flaking and by night it is back again. My PCP told me it was most likely a fungus and I have used anti fungal cream sometimes for weeks at a time with very little improvement. Just yesterday the fluid was running down the side of my face. Any idea what is causing this?
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  813
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend , welcome to HCM.
if it is not itchy, it can be from inner osteomyelitis or inner ear or skull bone infection .

only clear fluid can be CSF (brain fluid ) , but in your case if there was no trauma to the skull, it is less likely.

do you have fever anytime?
has the flake / discharge been cultureed for infection?

pl. see an ENT surgeon to get it evaluated. you amy need Xray skull or CT scan after evaluation.
it could be rarely a cyst (fluidy walled cavity)inside.

take care. and keep me informed on your progress. pl. take a few seconds to rate this experience here before yoy log out.
thanks !
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor