Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Flapping sensations in the chest and neck. Had anxiety. Difficulty in breathing. Any advice?

For a long while now, I've been having these very disconcerting flopping sensations in my neck and chest. they are very scary.
I did suffer with anxiety for several years, but have been off any and all meds now almost a year. I also have been fighting my breathing for the last year. It feels , to me, like every breath has to be a lung filler. This constant frightening feeling I get is really starting to get to me.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic
Anxiety disorder is associated with tremors, palpitations, breathlessness, sweating and extreme fear that something dangerous is happening to us. These symptoms are really discomforting and scary. Sometimes such symptoms occur in extreme severity and these are called panic attacks. These attacks recur and one gets a fear that a similar attack may occur once again. Anxiety disorder requires treatment with drugs and psychotherapy. Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, breathing excercises would help a lot. Anxiolytics and benzodiazepines are the treatment of choice.
Psychotherapy in the form of Cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy etc help in dealing with stressful situations. Consult a good psychiatrist
Hope this helps you
Thanks and regards
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srinivasa S.R.R.Y.'s  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic
The symptoms described by you are of anxiety disorder. In addition to medication you need other modes of therapy like relaxation excercises, breathing excercises, meditation, psychological methods like cognitive behavioral therapy, counseling, interpersonal psychotherapy etc for the relief of your symptoms. Consult a good psychiatrist
Best wishes
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

These are symptoms of anxiety
You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
See your psychiatrist again / may need basic blood tests...
You will benefit from counselling and /or drugs again

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor